From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2016 09:33:48 -0400
Now I am thinking of a Records Management Movie….  “Larry and the 10 Commandments.” (Instead of the Parting of the Red Sea, you may have the 7.0+ tremor that will part the plains and mountains.)

I tried to develop some commandments and I even searched the web for examples but nothing I found nailed it like this.

As you mentioned, “It depends” on the organization but you defined them in classic style.

One problem I have with some in the records management community is they want to go off and abandon the classic strength that records management was. All of the principles you define can be modified to cover all forms of records.

One interesting trend is that vaults are still used in the classic environments.  Town Halls, County Government and State Archives.  Certain corporations also used vaults to protect records.

But I am seeing the corporation with tightly wound in data centers employ ServerVaults to protect the electronic records they use to run manufacturing or day to day industrial operations.  They see a value in their current software and applications that run the presses.  So they protect it.  They simply cannot outsource the heavy industrial applications they use constantly.

Will the ransomware and hacking pull certain operations back out of the Cloud? Will the effects of the Cloud taking ownership of information assets stored past a certain date create some queasiness for management? Like all new technologies, many rushed into it blindly.  Now the problems of outsourcing to a vendor who has no “real concern” if an operation is curtailed by period maintenance or downed communication or other things that shut down data centers.  Your commandment #10 covers this perfectly.

Thanks for taking the time and your creativity.  Amen on Alan and Bill.

>> What are the 10 Commandments of Records Management in 2016?
> 1.     The Official Record is THE record. However, any reasonable copy shall still save (or hang) you in court.
> 2.     You shall not reinterpret the CFR or Organizational Policy, nor apply it in vain.
> 3.     Remember to keep holy Records Management Week
> 4.     Honor Alan Andolsen and William Benedon's teachings on RIM through eternity
> 5.     You shall not destroy Records prior to the completion of their required retention, nor while they are under discovery, even if that time period exceeds required retention.
> 6.     You shall not commit intentional corruption of the content of Records, nor alter their provenance.
> 7.     You shall not remove Records from your employer or Agency on separation, nor shall you provide copies to unauthorized persons.
> 8.     You shall not bear false witness when called to testify regarding your role or your organization's policy regarding management of Records
> 9.     You shall not covet the Records of others, in any form or format, on any form of media or in The Cloud.
> 10. You shall not (sadly) expect third parties to manage your Records as if they were their own, nor to accept responsibility if they are lost in a catastrophic event, they failed to protect against.

I wonder if anyone will ever calculate the cost to American business of deleting all of the Hillary and Trump emails that pour in each day.  Even marking them as junk doesn’t stop them.  They use different addresses and topics to look different each time. Over 15 to 20 emails per day.  Imagine if this some how is stored in the Cloud due to a weak reduplication system.  Amazon and Microsoft just added 20% to their storage revenues.  No wonder Amazon stock is rising.  There is a cost to store it and a cost to delete it. Not to mention the time it wasted.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM