From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2018 12:57:03 -0400
​Thanks for sharing this here, Brad.  I was about to forward it from the
SAA RM section listserv but glad to see you've already done so.  This fits
a records life cycle theme I observed last week at a Sunshine Week event at
the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). (I'll be sharing
more on that shortly.) Speakers from NARA spoke about access to materials
NARA holds in its facilities, including in units that handle Federal
Records Act materials, materials in the presidential libraries (some
administered under the Presidential Records Act), and legislative branch
records. The panel moderator was NARA General Counsel Gary M. Stern, who,
given his function, has a useful perspective on information life cycle
issues.  Records management a part of the presentations, of course, as well
as disclosure review, reference, etc. One of the last audience Q&A
questions from listeners was, if you could wave a magic wand, what would
you fix?  Speakers provided thoughtful answers about misperceptions (many
of which are unintional, of course) surrounding their work.  Some of their
they wished people wouldknow about the goals and values and culture of
their function and employer.

In my experience, diverse perceptions of work can be external to an
organization but also internal, not necessarily because people deliberately
work in silos, which to some extent exist in all workplaces.  But because
they are busy with day to day concerns and their own experiences can vary
greatly.  As a creator and user of records, someone who has worked in
records management, archival functions, and as a Federal historian
("ultimate end user"), very glad to see this SAA RMS opportunity for
sharing experiences and asking questions.

Maarja
Washington, DC
@ArchivesMaarja
Blog:  Archival Explorations
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=yrLeU7vAj3n8zc9SkVAHVIDXGBCyxNKz6aLElLhd954&s=vvf-ssLFqYpfTJ0MwS6Y-dwpiWXg4EXNoq5WzNbZVjU&e=