From:
"Terry S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:30:53 -0400
>There is a debate in an organization on who should review the draft
>Retention Schedule and what would be the right sequence of the review
>process.
>The parties involved in this argument are Internal Audit, Legal, Finance,
>Contract, Records Mgmt and User Dept.
>
>Can anyone suggest or share on who should be involved and what would be
>the most practical approach / reviewing process flow?
>
>Regards,
>Azman Kamarolzaman
>Email: [log in to unmask]

When I created our Record Retention Schedule, I worked closely with our Law
Dept. to identify legal requirements.  Then, I involved all of our managers
and stakeholders in the draft review process to ensure the proposed
lifecycles met business needs - in a few instances, we elected to retain
records longer than required by law for auditing purposes.

Once I received manager approvals, I presented the final draft to our
executive management team for approval.  Legal, finance, IT, and operations
were all represented.  However, I did not seek approval from Internal Audit.
  My position was that they are not involved in establishing policy; rather,
they are charged with making sure we comply with it.

Hope this helps you.

Terry Schofield