From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:16:32 -0500
< And while I hate to type these words, I have to disagree a little with
Ginny - not all records are documents anymore.>
Feel free to disagree.  Professionally and intelligently expressed
disagreement is how our profession advances.  Upon reflection I see your
point.  A record can be an audio recording, a video recording, a
photograph, a database extrapolation, etc. and none of these are
"documents."  I think it is all in definition.  We have had to define
"record" in our new SAP system as "the data comprising an Archiving
Object."  An "object" in SAP being a compilation of data reflecting a
particular identity (such as customer or account) taken from various
tables and assigned specific application behavior.  (great tech-speak,
eh?)  A "record" in our new system in no way resembles a paper record or
database record from our old system, but each has a retention value and
an identifiable (and consistent) process for retention and disposition.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division