From:
"Nelson, Mary Lynne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:51:05 -0500
I'm still another lurker on this list.  Sorry, all, but this is an
extremely active list, I'm relatively new to Records Management, so I
feel I have a lot to learn and not a lot to offer yet.

My company has deployed Enterprise Vault to manage email, but I
wouldn't necessarily consider us a success from a records perspective.
A lot of the preparation depends on what you are vaulting and what you
want to get out of the vaults.  Here's a few of my lessons learned -
1. Don't set the vaults to permanent retention. You cannot remove
anything from the vault if you do.  Set a retention on each person's
vault based on a standard you come up with - in advance. (Note
retention is by person and not by content - one of the records flaws in
our vaulting system) We chose to use a "big bucket strategy" and let
most of the shorter term records go to vault, then set the vault
retention to the longest of those - in our case, three years.
Everything else is being removed to an alternate records repository.
2.  The Vault user interface is not at all intuitive in Outlook.  The
browser based interface is even less so.  You staff will need training.
We chose to do ours via home built computer based training modules,
which we are still building.
3.  Consider whether you will leave "stubs" in the email system or not,
and the long-term retention of those, if you do.  Stubs make things
MUCH easier for the user. If your mail system is Exchange, it can bog
down on the "stubs" if you do not have a way to remove them over time.
Neither Exchange nor Enterprise Vault provides this mechanism.  Another
benefit of stubs - Enterprise Vault is compatible with Windows Desktop
Search if you leave them in place.  Our users would have really liked
this!
4. Create/modify processes for employee departures.  In order to meet
our records requirements, we want to "sweep" all mail of departed
employees to the vault for retention, but IT isn't biting - yet.  Get
these processes in place up front.
5. In terms of Outlook, we chose to let people keep their own foldering
mechanisms with two exceptions - personal mail (and only personal mail)
should be stored in PSTs (NOT best practice but we had no choice), and
mail that needs to be kept longer than three years needs to be
segmented out, foldered, and moved to another repository.  The "big
bucket" took care of everything else. Once you are sure everything
being vaulted is short term, you can use it with (relative) success.

Obviously this is far from perfect, buut we were not given a choice of
product - in any event, Enterprise Vault doesn't seem to be any better
or worse than many other email archiving products design for storage
and not for records management. Eventually we will change but this is
better than nothing for now.  Time will tell.