From:
Donald Force <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:17:48 -0700
Hi Brian,
From an e-discovery standpoint, there are several reasons to continue to
delete records according to your retention schedules -- the foremost one
being costs involved in having to preserve, retrieve, review, and produce
the records in event of litigation. The following articles should be of some
assistance:

Lawson, Stephen. "Why IT Should Start Throwing Data Away." Infoworld (May 6,
2009). Available at
http://www.infoworld.com/d/storage/why-it-should-start-throwing-data-away-02
9.

Nash, Kim S. "E-Mail Retention: The High Cost of Digging Up Data." Baseline
Magazine (August 2, 2006). Online.
http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Projects-Processes/EMail-Retention-The-High-C
ost-of-Digging-Up-Data/

Sliwa, Carol. "E-discovery Requests have Growing Impact on Data Storage."
SearchStorage.com (April 8, 2009). Available at
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid5_gci1353256,00
.html.

Also, if you have access to a law library, you should also see:

Mason, Andrew M. "Throwing Out the (Electronic) Trash: True Deletion would
Soothe E-Discovery Woes." Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology 7,
no. 2 (May, 2006): 777-795.

Ries, David E. "Records Management: Current Issues in Retention,
Destruction, and E-Discovery."	Pennsylvania Bar Association Quarterly 78
(2007): 139-159.

Best,
Donald Force
Ph.D. Student
InterPARES 3 & Digital Forensic Records Graduate Assistant
School of Library, Archival and Information Science
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC
Canada