From:
Paul Bergeron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:20:40 -0400
Thank you Julie.

One of our division directors did state that the file name should not be
more than 35 characters because he would not be able to "see" the
complete file name on his screen.  I'm not sure what is the exact
"maximum" number of characters that would be visible, but you have
reinforced his point and we will need to look into it.

There is also a practical side to file-naming conventions that our group
will have to consider: if the formula is too complex and/or too long,
will it be used by city employees?  I would love, for example, to
require the use of most of the elements of the Dublin Core.  Not
practical; won't happen.  So identifying what the "max # of characters"
should be will also mold (limit) our electronic file-naming conventions,
I am sure.

Paul