From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 15:35:22 -0700
Here we go again; more laptops stolen with veteran's personal data.
In both cases the data was not encrypted.  I was part of the group
that was notified of the laptop lost in 2006.  You would think they
would have learned from past experience.  What I find interesting is
that a number of the vendors that refuse to sign information security
clauses.

<snip>
House panel will hold a hearing next week to assess the agency's
information security practices.

The Department of Veterans Affairs has been the victim of two major
data breaches in the last month that may put the personal data of
hundreds of veterans at risk, according to a letter released Thursday.

A contractor with the Department of Veterans Affairs had an
unencrypted laptop stolen last month that contained the personal data
of over 600 veterans, and a second laptop owned by another contractor
to VA was stolen in May, according to the ranking Republican on the
House Committee on Veterans' Affairs.
<snip>

http://shrinkster.com/1dsi

--