From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 16:47:58 -0400
Re:" the distinction is still quite vaid in general too.  Managing
paper records is different than managing their electronic brethren."

This is still very true. For example, one of the major challenges of all new
ERM Programs is that there is still a big disconnect between policies,
procedures, and retention schedules for p-Recs and e-Recs. Despite the fact
that email as a medium of communication has generally (not completely)
replaced paper "correspondence", the retention schedule may say there is a 3
year retention for correspondence, while IT's procedures implement a 90 day
to one year retention for the emails that replaced it - despite the content
being very similar. And if you "file" paper correspondence the procedure and
workflow are typically manual and filing cabinet/box based, whereas, the
e-mails are captured in Outlook.pst, exchange servers, or maybe a
ZLTechnologies Archive. The overall policy might be similar, but the
procedures, workflow, and retention repositories are vastly different. The
metadata captured will also probably be different.

Last year I did a presentation at ARMA on the integration of software
systems to track both paper and electronic, and some software can do that,
but with widely differing capabilities for each media type. p-Recs and
e-Recs may be siblings but are never identical twins.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com