From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 17:53:41 -0400
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Deanna Hauck <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am the records manager at a small liberal arts college. I am working on
> reducing the retention of our email backup tapes and was asked to survey
> what the retention is at other educational institutions and what authority
> have you used to make that decision. Please advise.

be sure and conduct a search of the listserv archives. lots of discussions
in the past about email backup tapes.
You'll find that the general consensus is that backup tapes are for disaster
recovery purposes and not for records retention.

If you don't have it you may want to go to the ARMA International bookstore
and purchase a copy of the ANSI/ARMA standard Managing Electronic  Messages
as Records there is also a standard there for titled Retention Management
for Records and Information that is good also

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va