From:
"Grevin, Frederic" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:36:55 -0400
I noted, in the otherwise excellent replies to this message, that no one
mentioned ANSI/AIIM MS 44 "Recommended Practice for Quality Control of Image
Scanners", which prescribes

(1) the use of dual quality controls : on-screen inspection AND "match proof
print" (print out the scanned image of a document and compare it, side by
side, to the original paper document), and

(2) establishing a "quality reference".

Having seen the results of failing to use these QC methods (undetected image
loss of up to 1/2 inch on two edges of the document), I would have to say it
is mandatory for scanning valuable documents to include all of them.

This, however, will substantially increase the time and resources required
for the QC process, even if you choose different sampling rates for each of
the inspection methods and (foolishly, IMHO) decide to re-run your quality
reference test less often.

Best regards,

Fred.
Frederic J. Grevin
Director, Records and Archives Management
The City of New York
Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
59-17 Junction Blvd., 11th floor
Flushing, NY 11373-5108
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (718) 595-4372