From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:39:15 -0400
Thank you for your interest !

I'm interested in reading
. a) union newsletters received by library officials
     from CPL library workers over the last few years

. b) irregular types of similar publications

. c) itinerant types of similar publications

. d) broadsides
received by library officials from CPL library workers
over the last few years.

If you would, please let me know should
coincidentally you happen upon anything in that regard.

These labor materials need to be a part of the rich social
history of our public libraries as much as any other archival
documentation.

Labor collections and city archives at our CPL need greater
attention from our CPL Reference Department.

In order to identify the publications, I'm looking for the names
of all unions pertaining to all CPLers, people at our public
libraries in Cambridge. If necessary,
I'm willing to request and read the
. e) CPL unions' contracts.

For the lib's edification, this attempt is to ask for the
ordinarily good robust preference desk department service at our
public library.

I question whether being kicked upstairs, so to speak, to the
administrative departments' offices of CPL leadership would mean
denial of reference desk service on the enquiry. It's my
experience at Boston Public Library in asking for materials
received by our public libraries from library workers unions
labor relations advocates.

I would rather look to the reference departments' ordinarily good
hints, tips and pointers on this enquiry! Rather than deal with
others' evasive responses such as I got previously. I refer to
denial or the lack of the usual reference desk protocol of
offering public library users, public library clientele
alternatives for not readily available information.

In lieu of better response, please consider pulling together
. f) listings for one of the lib's usual series of bibliographic
     informational leaflets on
     1. labor relations,

     2. unions,

     3. collective bargaining relative to CPL collections and
     departmental archives.

. g) And another leaflet of listings on
     1. negotiation,

     2. persuasion
     relative to CPL collections and departmental archives.

Of interest
CPL. Mission of the Library.
http://cambridgema.gov/cpl/about/mission.html

CPL. Library Bill of Rights intellectual freedom references
http://www.cambridgema.gov/~CPL/about/trusteesm0598.html
http://tinyurl.com/azfkt

I remain, as ever, advocating for institutional change and
for improving the organizational culture of
our cities' public libraries!