From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:16:15 -0400
Someone on the Archives List a note recently about the NARA webpage redesign.  Here's what the Archives' web program director just posted in reply about redirected web pages.  As I mentioned last week, the redesign effort appears to have been done at least in part with the general public in mind.
Maarja
[copy of List posting follows]
Posted on the behalf of Jennifer Nelson, Web Program Director.

******
Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for posting a message advising update of personal bookmarks to web pages on archives.gov.  We've redirected many often-requested pages from old URLs to new ones but can not afford the maintenance of redirects for all files.  We understand the impact and apologize for the inconvenience of these changes.

We hope that you'll experience the improvements indicated by the results of our usability testing with the general public.  We hope that greater ease of use due to renovated information architecture (which necessitated the change in URLs), layout, and navigation of the web site will more greatly encourage our visitors' interest in, knowledge about, and use of archives.

Again, many thanks for your patience and assistance.

Jennifer Nelson
Web Program Director
National Archives and Records Administration