From:
Jim Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:19:41 -0400
Hello Irene - There are no industry standards that I know of. PRISM
International has done an internal study associated with our Shelving and
Racking Guideline Publication in order to establish a benchmark "put
away"/"take away" rate per hour. This was not an observational study
conducted by a consultant or other independent observer, rather participants
used one of two suggested  methods of measurement. The study tracked three
types of racking configurations: order picker, catwalk and ground floor
ladder access systems.

In the PRISM International study, the overall performance measures for
carton retrievals per employee/ per hour, (regardless of the type of racking
configuration) were: Median - 31.8 and Mean - 28.

The difficulty with mass pulls is that they must occur along with other
ordinary business pulls and refiles, as well as mass accessions. It would
stand to reason that mass accessions would be much quicker, even in a random
access filing situation, since facilities under time pressure or serving
clients with a high activity rate could choose to locate cartons in empty
racks.

Box configuration on the racks will greatly affect these numbers. Some
government entities still maintain sequential box location systems with one
carton per shelf. Retreival from this type of configuration is much simpler
than a three-high, four-deep configuration in an order picker or catwalk
system. The application of technology such as PDTs and various types of
material handling equipment, gravity chutes, conveyors, etc., can also speed
the process along.

As you can see, there are a tremendous number of variables. Vendors who are
engaged in mass retrievals which come simultaneous to normal operating
volume, must sometimes hire supplemental labor in order to accomplish these
retrievals within an established time frame.

Best wishes,

Jim

Jim Booth
Executive Director