From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 09:19:05 -0700
I've heard from a couple people that the hotel block at the Hyatt has
been sold out (I also tried to use the online booking site and it
showed the rooms as sold out as well). I would expect that we'll get a
definitive response from ARMA HQ on Monday or Tuesday. I know from past
experience that the hotel will sometimes open up additional blocks of
rooms as various thresholds are reached. So it is possible that we're
at a threshold and once the reservations are swept for cancellations,
some additional rooms may be added.

As many of you may be aware, the Chicago Chapter Local Arrangements
Committee has a website.
of information on alternate hotels, including a fairly comprehensive
list posted today.

It's fairly likely that some hotel rooms at the Hyatt will come
available between now and Conference. I've asked ARMA HQ to advise on
what folks can / should do if they still want to stay at the Hyatt. (Is
there a waiting list? If so, how do they get on it?) I expect that
there is a periodic "sweep" of reservations by the booking site that
reopens availability as people cancel (I booked a room at the Hyatt
early to have it, then cancelled when I booked a hotel with my airline
miles). So you may wish to periodically check back to the ARMA lodging
site and see if anything comes available.

In the meantime, take a look at the Local Arrangements website
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/ARMAChicago2005-L/ and see if
there are other hotels that you can book as a hedge.

Even if you aren't approved to attend Conference yet, I strongly
recommend that you book a hotel now. If you use "traditional" bookings
(i.e. the hotel website of a travel agent), you generally can cancel
your reservation at any time without penalty. If you book a special
rate or an Internet-only rate, or use one of the discount sites, you
may not be able to get a refund. Please read the cancellation rules
very carefully.

And if you're double-booked (you have a Hyatt reservation, but you know
you're staying somewhere else), please cancel the Hyatt reservation so
others who want to stay at the Hyatt can get in.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM