From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:12:02 -0700

> I do have a question...my management would like some examples of
> businesses that didn't survive a disaster. I have looked through the
> archives, visited FEMA website, and did search Google to some extent.
> Most of what I have found is businesses that survived because they had
> some sort of disaster plan. I do remember something about how many
> companies didn't survive 9-11 but can't find it.

 You may want to contact some insurance companies or reinsurance companies
and ask them, but I'm not sure how much information they'll provide.
 Another consideration is THINK SMALLER than FEMA and 9-11... many don't
survive a loss by fire, or even something as minor as the loss of a key
contract... and some companies have gone under from something as seemingly
insignificant as a broken pipe, or someone being injured on their property
and having insufficient insurance.
 If your intent is to use this information as a sales tool, all you need to
do is read the newspaper or the RAIN stories posted here to find tons of
examples of catastrophic losses suffered, but getting people to say "it
caused me to go out of business" may be a bit tougher.
 Larry