From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:57:15 -0700
In my current position, I probably spend 50% of my time managing litigation.
It didn't start out this way, but evolved over time. So I feel like a full
time litigation manager and a hobby records manager.

We of course have a policy for legal holds and releases - I wrote it as a
section of our corporate records management policy which also includes a
section for tax audit holds and releases as well. The policy statement is
very brief. The detail is all in the procedures.

Included in our procedures are actions and expectations of our legal team
(of which I am a part), our Technology team (specifically our server
operations group as they manage our Exchange servers), and our affected
employees or business partners.

When I developed the procedure I involved internal and external counsel,
Technology, and other key business managers - basically my records
committee. We then tested our process to see if it would work. Unfortunately
it has been put to the test many times in the last year.

Remember that your legal hold procedures is a living document. Like
retention schedules, disaster recovery plans, and other key practices you
must test and refine.

Rock on!
Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA