From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:29:00 -0400
On 10/13/05, Carpenter, Laurie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Larry - I respectfully disagree with a few of your comments. If prepared
> for and conducted properly, I don't think a cleanup is always "bad
> thing".
>
> Larry wrote:    <The concept of a "cleanout" in RIM, whether it's
> physical or digital
> format records is a bad thing in most cases.   Destruction of records
> is supposed to be an orderly process, based on the values assigned in
> the retention schedule.>

But Larry didn' t say "cleanup" is always a "bad thing" He said "in
most cases". Both parties are correct in their suppositions.
Personally  I abhor the terms 'records cleanup day' and 'records purge
day'. Terms such as these imply that the records within an
organization are not maintained in an orderly manner. I prefer the
term 'compliance', a much more positive term.

Records compliance programs imply an orderly continous process is in
place. What we need to do is to get folks to realize that records
management is not just a once a year occasion but rather something
that must be done "in the ordinary everyday course of business"
Imagine if you will your Finance department having an annually
Accounts Payable day when all invoices are processed and paid. Not
exactly efficient. Accounting work takes place everyday. Invoices are
reviewed, approved and processed everyday. Why then cann't employees
do the same thing with their organization's functional records.

What is lacking is a means to verify that records management is taking
place. Besides annual 'cleanup days' what process or procedure is
available to the records manager to assist in ensuring that compliance
is taking place? Yes, internal audit can periodically test the
procedures and identify the holes, but what type of management
report(s) can we produce to show that a department/organization is in
compliance.

I have some ideas, but I would like to hear from others.

--
Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va