From:
Irene Eklund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:16:13 -0500

It appears my law firm did not budget next year for the amount of
full-time staff I now have the Records department.  Currently there are
5 full-time clerks and only 4 full-time clerks have been budgeted for
next year.  One clerk is leaving at the end of the year so there are no
layoffs or firings involved.   I have been compiling arguments in
justifications as to why this reduction in staff will be detrimental to
the department and the firm.

My question is this - Can anyone provide me with arguments,
justifications or reasoning they have used in preventing a staff
reduction?

Here is an overview of the Ratio of clerks to Attorneys

Overall total number of Attorneys currently file for = 49.
Of the 5 full-time staff, 4 of the clerks handle the day-to-day filing
handling about 10-13 attorneys each.
The one clerk who does not handle the day-to-day filing, handles
administrative responsibilities of the Records department.
In overall, there is an average of 1,200 to 1,500 files which the
Records department files for.

There is also an additional 21 attorneys in the firm we do not currently
handle the filing for.

Here is the outline from the Job Description we currently have for the
file clerk position:

Duties and Responsibilities:

Essential Functions:

*	Performing daily clerical tasks relating to filing, updating and
maintaining client files for paper intensive legal matters
*	Updating of Records department Databases and Indexes, including
but not limited to the following:
                        The Off Site Storage Database, Master Index of
Boxes and/or Plans on Site, Recalled File Log, and X-Ray Index
*	Retrieval and delivery of files requested from the file room and
re-shelving of files returned by users
*	Handling requests received by Records in a timely and efficient
manner
*	Maintain all on site storage area's for files and boxes,
including the main file room and on site storage area's for boxes
*	Delivery and Retrieval of Boxes from On Site storage area's as
requested or needed
*	Boxing up and indexing of closed case files in preparation for
shipment to off site storage
*	Retrieval and delivery of files from Off Site Storage in
accordance with Records department procedures
*	Creating new and/or additional case files as necessary and
appropriate
*	Re-Organization of case files as requested or needed
*	Answer questions from attorneys, secretaries and other personnel
regarding records and files

Secondary Functions:

*	Assist secretaries and other department personnel in locating
misplaced files, documents and folders
*	Periodic purging of closed files from file room
*	Interfaces with department personnel, lawyers, secretaries and
other support staff to exchange information
*	Assist attorneys and/or secretaries in the moving of files
between offices or file cabinets
*	Assist in the delivery and removal of boxes and documents from
conference rooms as requested
*	Other related tasks and duties as requested or assigned

There are some tasks which we have been asked to perform lately which
are not listed in the job description and these include:

*	Creation and Maintenance of Correspondence Indexes
*	Organization and Indexing of Bates Stamped documents
*	Delivery and/or retrieving boxes for an attorney's vehicles

The clerk who handles the administrative aspects of the Records
department, performs the following duties outside the tasks listed
above:

*	Primarily responsible for the Recall of all files and
administrative follow-up regarding file re-opening, returning files,
etc.
*	Review of storage invoices, submission of check requests and
corresponds with the off site storage facility
*	Return of Original client documents to the client
*	Assigning and managing file cabinet in conjunction with
Facilities
*	Assigning and managing war rooms, workroom, unassigned
offices/cubicle space in conjunction with Facilities
*	Coordinating internal office moves in conjunction with
Facilities
*	Completion of all administrative functions for files closed due
to consolidation and/or duplication, including consolidating the file
*	Final disposition review of files left over from departed
attorneys
*	Keeps administrative records file for each attorney departed
indicating disposition of files
*	Management of all On Site storage area's

In addition to these, there are also about 20 outstanding projects the
Records department has yet to even started.  I am not listing these
projects as they are only relative to my firm.

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Irene Eklund
Boston, MA