From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:36:41 -0500
Depends on the type of business I would imagine.  We must abide by the
Virginia "Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practices Act"
(formerly known as the Personal Privacy Act) and it requires us to have
specific policies and procedures in place as well as holding the
employee and the employer responsible for breaches of the Act.
Inadvertent is difficult to prove if you have specific policies and
procedures.  We now require our employees to read and sign an agreement
that outlines their responsibilities in regards to personal information
(which is defined) and the penalty if the information is inappropriately
or illegally divulged.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager