From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:39:08 -0600
>>In removing the records, Dr. Kissinger obviously viewed the Department
of State's "business needs" differently than most records managers and
agency historians would have. <<

Not much of a quandry here if we were at the state or in private
industry.  What is created as the result of employment, regardless of
where or how, or is created on the employers equipment, belongs the
employer.  Walking off with it without specific permission is called
theft.

>>Would most of you have been okay with that? <<

No.

>>I'm curious as to how records managers handle "real world" (as opposed
to "ideal world") scenarios such as this one.

Have been through this a time or two in the private world.  In a couple
of cases the individual was forced to leave the records.  In another the
individual was able to take a copy but not the originals.
Unfortunately, this one came back to bite us.

Bill R