From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:12:17 -0700
And in defense of digital:

Costs:
- cost of paper storage, particularly given the volume of information which
must be maintained regardless of format
- cost of peoples to find the paper, or call the offsite vendor and have
records pulled and delivered
- cost to scan the printed copy of a born-digital document

Authenticity/security:
- Electronic records carry dates inherently as part of metadata and can be
almost always be digitally authenticated, particularly in combination with
appropriate media
- Ability to audit usage and track changes, if permitted, automatically

Preservation and the futility of printing:
- Email with attachments
- Rich-media records such as VOIP, audio/video recordings
- Dynamic records such as database-generated websites, databases, e-commerce
- The cost to print to paper all the records that the State of California is
concerned about losing

I agree that there are concerns, but the final comment is just as dangerous
to long-term preservation of information as is keeping it all in the file
format du jour.

My tuppence on a gorgeous Colorado Monday...<donning flame-proof faceguard>

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, EDP, LIT, ICP, ECMP
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office