From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:42:17 -0800
A number of people have asked me or this list about generating PDF/A.  I am
very PDF knowledgeable, but not a student of all of the products nor of the
PDF/A standard, so I have e-mailed several experts asking them to tell me of
any shipping products that can produce it.  Here is one of the replies:

	Mr. Chester,

	Thanks for your note.

	It is certainly possible to generate PDF/A files with shipping
products, including Adobe Acrobat. PDF/A-1A, the stricter standard, requires
elements such as logical structure and tags which, while achievable, are not
achievable through software configuration alone (except on very simple
documents).  As for PDF/A-1B, a careful reading of the Standard will tell
you what elements are permitted, and which are not.  From that point, you
can use existing tools to "strip" non-compliant features from existing PDFs.

	I am not aware, at this time, of any software that specifically
validates files as PDF/A compliant.

	Duff Johnson
	Principal, Document Solutions Consulting President and CEO, Document
Solutions, Inc.
	----------------
	P - 617-283-4226
	E - [log in to unmask]
	W - http://www.document-solutions.com

Bernard Chester, CDIA+, EDP, ICP, AIIM MIT
Principal
IMERGE Consulting, Pacific Northwest Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316
Mercer Island, WA   98040
(office) 206-230-9253
(cell) 206-979-7389