From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:12:52 -0500
I do not work for a records storage vendor, and I never have. But I have a question re: "hostage fees." When a vendor de-accessions your boxes from their system and removes your boxes from their shelves, do they not incur labor and administrative costs for these tasks? Should they not charge the client for these, just as they would any other activity they do for their records?

I don't want to cause an uproar or even a debate. I just want to know why these activities alone are expected to be free, apart from all the other activities a vendor performs re: your records. I guess the info will help me evaluate one vendor over the other.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Link, CRM
Corporate Records Manager
Astorino
227 Fort Pitt Boulevard
Pittsburgh, PA  15222
412.765.1700
412.765.1711 Fax
www.astorino.com

We operate on the half day principle, as well. We too do not have perm out
fees, close account fees, hidden fees, hostage fees, fuel charge fees,
administration fees, transportation handling fees, report fees,
departmentalized billing fees, etc, etc, etc. If a client wants to cease
doing business with us for any reason at any time, even during the term of
the agreement, all that have to do is give us 30 days written notice. Too
many times over the past two decades, I have heard people say they are
"stuck" with their current vendor because they cannot afford to pay the
hostage fees to get out of a bad situation and/or they still have some years
left on their agreement. We do not ever want a client to have that terrible
feeling that they are "stuck" with us.

John Peden
Director of Business Development
Pioneer Records & Information Management
713/464-5024
Houston, Texas