From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:08:42 -0400
Backup tapes usually contain corporate information, which should already be captured in a structured records repository.  They are usually kept for disaster recovery purposes, which should be built into your corporate retention and disposition schedules.  One should consider, in the legal world, the cost for reproducing information in the event of a court case or even in an Access to Information request.  So before you destroy something you must really determine any future ramifications which could occur as a result of this destruction.  Back ups of Electronic mail, for an example, is kept on a server for a period of time (usually determined by IT policy. Again your corporate records repository should have already captured these records, unless they are personal or transitory in nature.  Just a few comments.  I will leave further comments to others.  Cheers.

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Guidelines Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Statistics and Information Management Directorate
Corporate Strategies and Business Development Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
320 Queen St., Place de Ville, Tower A, 6th Fl.,
Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1A 0L5
Tel: 1-613-946-0245
Facsimile: 1-613-941-9649
E-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]