From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:30:48 -0400
<How about IA roles to help end-user departments to identify records
series
that are required for audit purposes and how long they should be
retained
before they can be safely destroyed by the end-user?>

Our internal auditors are not concerned with advising how long to keep a
record, but do audit end-users on whether they have kept records long
enough to meet records retention requirements as stated in the retention
schedule.  They make sure procedures are followed, rather than setting
procedures to be followed.  External auditors will advise on what
regulations and laws must be met, and these legal requirements, of
course, guide the retention values. In our case, the external auditor
recommendations are brought to the table by the Comptroller and through
the Attorney review.

<and the Archivist, but not Records Management.>
It would seem logical to have both.  The Archivist for historical
review, yes, but Records Management ties all the values together.  If
there is no historical value to a record series, then RM must analyze
the remaining three values and determines the retention from that
analysis.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager