From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:28:25 +1000
Hugh

As is normal, I agree with what you have said.

You have to remember that there are risks in doing anything - some of those risks are negligible, others have serious consequences.  You have to work out where to draw the line in the sand and say "I dont care about these risks, but I will not tolerate this thing happening at any cost". You also have to work out the best way of minimising the risk.  Crossing the road can be deadly, but if you cross at the traffic lights, the chances of being knocked down are lessened.  If you wanted to reduce the risk to zero, you could decide never to cross the street, but that would be seen as silly.  You have to get a balance between what you want to achieve (to get to the other side) against the 'cost' of doing that (the inconvenience of walking half a block to the set of traffic lights).

The risk of industrial espionage is a real one for business.  However, I seem to recall hearing that the biggest threat to trade secrets etc comes from within the organisation, not someone breaking in with a micro camera and copying all your documents. I do not know if that is still true or not (or I used to watch far too many spy movies in my youth).  Is there any difference in risk between disgruntled in-house employees, employees in a 'local' service provider and those working for an 'off-shore' service provider? Only a thorough analysis would tell you.

You should also know the risks involved if you have to sue in a foreign country and weigh them up against the risks of being sued on home soil.

The other big factor in business is "The Bottom Line".  If the total cost (which is NOT just a $ value) of sending work offshore is a lot less than all the possible sanctions and inconveniences if things go wrong, then it might make economic sense to do so.  Whether or not that decision makes good business is another issue.

Its all about making an informed decision.  Given that there are thousands of variables and scenarios, an informed decision may be a difficult one to make.

John Lovejoy
my own views, not the views of my employer.