From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:36:09 -0700
On 9/29/06, Lisa Shimamura <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Can anyone help out with this request that I have received?  Please
> contact
> me directly if you are willing to share any sample of policies specific to
> RIM.  He is most interested in seeing policies related to Manufacturing
> industry.

As we've discussed many  times in the past, while someone elses policy or
practice may provide a starting point for someone (if they are in the same
or a similar industry) this is really something that needs to be developed
independently, taking into consideration all of the rules, regulations,
laws, statutes and other governing polices of the organization you work for.

Absent anything for a starting point, he may want to consider obtaining a
copy of ISO 15489, Part 1 and 2 to get a basic framework form which to build
on, but its not inexpensive.  Another source is many of the free documents,
guidance and toolkits available from the National Archives (www.archives.gov)
or some of the individual agencies which have policies and guides available
for reference on their websites (www.cio.doe.gov) or (www.epa.gov) for
example.

Also, does anyone know about the BSI rules mentioned and provide information
> about that?
>
> Also, has anyone used the BSI's "The principles of good practice for
> information management" (see *
> http://www.bsi-global.com/ICT/IM/pd0010.xalter *)?

 >Can you comment on its practical usefulness or perhaps provide a copy?

I have a copy of BIP 0008 and the workbook, and it's a great reference tool
for legal admissibility considerations for electronic format records, but
it's very specific to the UK.  It can be used to develop a framework for
guidance here in the US, but it isn't directly applicable.

Larry
--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA