From:
Kirsten McKnight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:23:32 -0500
Hi all,

Sorry if I'm late in responding - I get the digest version and generally
don't read on weekends.

Jesse, with respect to your question about web-based e-mail my company's
acceptable use of internet and email doesn't specifically address the use
of web-based mail. We are a Lotus Notes company although our sister corp
CTC has recently switched to Exchange so I can't speak for them. External
use of company resources is through a virtual private network which
enables the use of Notes from home. And although it is not specifically
addressed in the policy there is an Internet Monitoring service which
monitors and prevents access to certain websites including those like
Hotmail etc. We are also required to electronically sign and accept the
company's Acceptable use policy.

From our perspective web-based email such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail etc is
a potential risk for leaking restricted or confidential information.

However, I'm in the process of reviewing our email policy particularly
from a retention standpoint and was wondering if anyone knew of any other
standards that I should be reviewing. I have the ANSI ARMA standard
9-20054 Requirements for managing electronic messages as records and The
ePolicy handbook which I obtained from the ARMA bookstore and of course
ISO 14589. I've also check out www.mybestdocs.com and found some great
resources there. If anyone has any resources they would care to share that
would be great!

thanks!

Kirsten