From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:17:56 -0800
On 1/31/07, Gervais, JohnA <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I went to a party some years ago and when asked what I did for a living, I
> replied that I was a Records Manager.

 In the end I just looked at her and said, "yes I file for a living"!  I
> figure it wasn't worth explaining any longer!

Shades of our "elevator speech" discussion....

I guess it depends on how you frame the response what follow-up questions
you get.  I sort of tailor my response to the person who asks and the
context in which I meet them.

But it can go anywhere between these:

Records and Information Management Professional
Business Records Manager
Information Assets Analyst
Information Systems Manager
Industry Analyst
Consultant

The last one is reserved for people who wouldn't be able to understand
whatever you tell them...

My favorite one was shortly after I took my current position and had to
undergo a severe background investigation, which included Federal Agents
contacting all of my neighbors, even the ones I DON'T TALK TO, the Principal
at my daughter's school and others, and asking them questions about me

I explained to my daughter (who was 8 at the time) that Daddy had a job
where he had to handle sensitive information that was very private at
times.  And in passing, at a weekend get together when some one asked me
about the new job, I said "Sorry, I can't tell you about it, because then
I'd have to kill you"....

Well, a week later, I was driving my daughter and a classmate home after a
Girl Scout meeting and it went like this:

Friend: "I'm glad your Dad could pick us up.  My Dad works for a bank and he
comes home late"
Daughter: "Yeah, my Dad is usually home pretty early"
Friend: "Where does your Dad work?"
Daughter: " Well, I'd tell you, but then he'd have to kill you"

DOH!!!!!

Larry
--
Larry Medina