From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:05:43 -0700
I don't know the entire story here, and I'm on a time crunch, but in brief,
part of the issue is that it's considered extremely poor form for an entity
to edit its own Wikipedia entry - even if it's incorrect or incomplete. So
if Microsoft took exception to the entry on ODF and/or Office Open XML
Format, its competing standard (and it is - ECMA has accepted it as a
standard and it either has been or will be submitted to ISO shortly), there
are very few avenues of correction available to them. XML.com is a fairly
well respected source of crunchy XML goodness, and I think they would do a
reasoned job of reviewing the articles and correcting anything egregious
without being assimilated.

So I think it looks worse than it really is - appearances of impropriety and
all that.

And as far as MS XML vs. "XML as we know it" - the nice thing about
standardized, documented XML dialects is that it is a trivial thing to strip
out the XML you don't like, or to reformat it, using standardized tools like
Xquery and XSLT. That's what they are designed to do. As long as the content
is the same, ODF vs. OOXML is like TIFF vs. PDF: they both get the job done,
neither warrants significant concern on the part of industry professionals
including records managers providing reasonable processes are in place.

.02 from a former XML slinger (and deliverer of three "XML for Records
Managers" webinars for ARMA a couple years ago),

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
Yahoo! IM: jessewilkins8511
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.