From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:39:39 -0500
On 2/9/07, Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> And compare
> with the Project Management Professional, which has been around since 1984.
> PMI counts more than 220,000 PMPs around the world. I'd certainly think one
> could make the case that any organization large enough to warrant a PMP
> should be large enough to warrant a CRM.

sorry Jesse but your comparing apples and oranges. PMPs and CRMs do
two different things. while the PMP designation may have come about in
1984 I did not become aware of it until the late 1990s.

so what does that prove? not a dern thing except to point out that
until that time I was working areas that did not require project
management. As projects became more and more complex organizations,
both private and public decided that they needed to hire dedicated
project managers. Now lots of folks may apply for a project manager's
position, but how could the hiring organization distinguish one
applicant from another. Well why not specify the PMP designation.

Same thing is happening in the Records Management field. I will hazard
the guess that the demand for CRMs increased dramatically shortly
after the passage of Sarbanes-Oxley. (that would make a nice little
study) Suddenly organizations became more aware that there were
regulations concerning records retention, legal holds etc. The
companies may not know exactly what a CRM is or how many there, but
they wanted one. Why? because I think that they believed that having
one on board provided instant credibility for the organization.

During the ARMA conference I spoke with an individual who was seeking
a CRM for their company. When I explained how few CRMs there were, the
individual was surprised. I also believe that the salary was
attractive but not attractive enough to get someone of the caliber
they wanted.

so what is needed? well I highly encourage all on this list who are
interested to visit www.icrm.org. and on that site take a look at what
it takes to qualify for the exam. If you believe that you qualify do
submit an application.

if you are a successful and become a CRM be aware that you now have a
target on your back. Seriously folks will point out your errors when
you make one, they will ask how did that person become a CRM. But
recognize too that these are the same folks who will not ever apply
for the exams. The decision to become a CRM will always be a personal
one, but I  believe that organizations will continue to seek out CRMs.
In fact I have even see adverts in the past where organizations are
willing to hire a candidate so long as they achieve the designation
within a given period of time.

now its getting late and i've rambled on too long

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va