From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:09:17 -0800
Paula, the copy of Information and Records Management (Robek, Brown,
Stephens) that I keep in my office for new employees is the fourth
edition; a 1995 (1996 imprint) version.  I do not know if there is a
newer version.  Check ARMA's bookstore
(http://www.arma.org/bookstore/index.cfm); the latest version of this
publication will no doubt be offered there.  When you search for this
book use the  &  ampersand character instead of 'and.'  It looks like
the 1995 is the latest version.

You may want to reference the ICRM bibliography at:
http://www.icrm.org/exam_bibliography.pdf.  The 1995 version of the
above mentioned text is one of many referenced for Exam II; Records
Creation and Use.

When I was a candidate I had to study several RIM topics and subtopics
with which I had no experience and to which I had very little exposure.
It is part of the process; part of what makes the credential valuable.

<snip>
https://db.icrm.org/crm/index.jsp?submit_menu=119
<snip>

You might want to contact Steve Golden, CRM, and/or Howard Loos, CRM
about assistance in preparing for the examinations.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 2/12/2007 10:37 AM >>>
Thank you for sharing this information.  Would the 1996 Robek, et al
book be the best source for part II of the exam?

I failed this section of the exam, probably due to the lack of
relevant
experience with mail room and copying management, which frankly is not
as applicable in my present position or experience.

I have not had the time to study diligently for any part of the exams,
simply relying on experience or knowledge gleaned in my professional
positions.  I am setting aside spring break to read up on the
requisite
materials, if I can locate those most relevant.

I have to admit that the language in most of the questions regarding
mail rooms, or copy center as well as directives is not in sync with
our
public service institution and the records management professional
would
not have an active role in anything but policy and guidelines
development.  We really do not use the term "directive" as a
descriptive
and while many of the processes might be similar, the terminology used
in the exams is so different, that I need to find a translation.

Any help in pointing me in the correct direction would be greatly
appreciated.

Paula Johnson
Candidate CRM 2007