From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:06:46 -0500
>>With regard to putting the salary range out there for a job, I would
suggest that it would make the filtering process better for us all. I don't
want to waste a recruiter's time and they don't want to waste mine.

I would not want to waist my time or theirs in screening my qualifications
if the compensation is just not there.  Sometimes all it takes (if contact
information is available) is a quick call or e-mail to ask for a very
broadly put ballpark of the base salary even before the resume goes out.
When I was in positions to do the hiring, I'd rather have spent a few
minutes on this than going through a full review of the person (reading the
resume, phone screen, interview, reference check) to find out that we were
too far apart on pay.

>>But many organizations work from the premise that if they show a salary
range of X to Y, there will be a surprising number of people who are
currently paid at just less than Y who apply for the position.

No doubt there are always going to be people with requirements that fit the
given range, stated or not.

>>On the other hand, if they omit the salary range and screen candidates for
their preferred range, they will likely find qualified candidates who are
closer to X or even below X, thus saving the company money.

Another point well stated, and saving the company salary and benefit dollars
makes points for them with those hire up, or in the hiring unit.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM