From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 07:38:37 -0800
On 2/14/07, Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >>But many organizations work from the premise that if they show a
> salary range of X to Y, there will be a surprising number of people who
> are currently paid at just less than Y who apply for the position.

Interestingly enough, a common practice of late when candidates get down to
the near final interview. it's not uncommon for the prospective employer to
request you to bring in a copy of your last 3 pay stubs.  I haven't heard of
this happening in the Federal job market, if you're already a Fed, because
they can validate your pay grade, but in private industry it's becoming a
common practice.  And they ask for 3 because your last one may have included
vacation payout or some other uncommon adjustment.

Naturally, you don't HAVE TO comply, but also, they DON'T HAVE TO offer you
the job, or agree to meet your salary requirement.

I had someone ask this when I took my present position over 6 years ago, and
because I was a Consultant running a privately owned business, there was no
such paycheck... they asked for a copy of my last tax filing and I said
"you're kidding, right?"  =)  Suffice to say, they didn't get it...

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA