From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:04:58 -0600
I have a question for those who have implemented imaging and workflow
document management systems within many departments of their
organization...(enterprise wide)....and especially those who manage
either their own internal records storage facility or manage the
off-site commercial storage of hardcopy records.

My question is this.  Did the implementation of the document management
system...particularly electronic imaging capabilities...substantially
increase your need for inactive "out-of-the-office" records storage?  As
departments began scanning large amounts of records did they wish to
store them for some extended length of time.  Certainly, regardless of
retentions, there is a need to keep hardcopy records for some time to
ensure accuracy in the scanning, etc.  As well, in many retention
programs such as the one at our university (Florida state agency) even
duplicates "may" have an "extended" retention period.  Therefore, did
you have similar in your organization and did all of this scanning
create any substantial increase in hardcopy that needed to be stored for
awhile.

I ask this because as my organization embarks on the implementation of a
document management system...I'm trying to perceive how this will affect
the operation of our records management department since we handle the
storage (storage facility provided) and disposition of all the
university's records.  I'm thinking that we will see perhaps a marked
increase in records storage requests.  Or, perhaps I am wrong about
that...and we'll see the increase in records disposition requests since
most of our retentions for duplicates will allow the hardcopy to be
eligible for disposal....and the fact that it is in the document
management system...folks will want to dispose of it quickly???  Any of
you have experience with this to share?

Much appreciation in advance for your responses.

Gus Harris

Records and Information Manager

The Univ. of West Florida

Pensacola, FL