From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:47:50 -0600
>>I'd like to hear some real world examples from any of you who are
simply imaging without any workflow software involved...and real figures
of concrete efficiencies.<<

Here is an example: The NDDOT Driver Improvement Section maintained
paper driver files that contained a variety of documentation on drivers
with issues.  Any time there was new action on the driver, the file
would have to be retrieved and the information examined before a course
of action was determined.  Considering that a single DUI/DUS citation
can require a dozen or more individual actions on a file, the files were
very active.  Throw in the fact that:
 - Several individuals may be working with the file at the same time.
 - The file was constantly moving from desk to desk so it was hard to
track.
 - New records were not in the file because the file was out.
It is important to understand here that with only rare exceptions, new,
incoming work, could not be processed without reviewing previous
records.  Altogether it made for a very tough and time-consuming job.

Imaging the existing collection of driver files gave the staff instant
access to the information they needed to make decisions.  We provided a
link between their application and the ECM system that would retrieve
the driver record from any screen in their business application.

While in this case we also added workflow to route new information to
the employees, our gain from the workflow component would have been nil
without the backfile scanning.  On the other hand, we could have
eliminated the workflow for incoming documents and still had significant
gains in productivity due only to the improved access to the existing
driver file.

If you need, I can provide dozens of other examples where access to
information is far more important and beneficial than the workflow use.
Don't get me wrong, I am a very strong proponent of workflow.  But in my
experience, access to quality information is the primary driver for ECM
implementation.

Bill Roach,  CRM
Manager, Corporate Records
MoneyGram International