From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:51:40 -0500
On 2/23/07, Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> How can only making documents available in electronic form do this in
> any case?  Can you be more specific.

the key IMHO is as BillR stated if the records are very active and
used by a large number of individuals

Several years ago I did an internal study for a major oil company
concerning the resumes they retained from applications. Normally
companies would not retain resumes after a selection was made, but in
this case the type of individuals and the skill sets sought made it
necessary for us to retain the resumes. The key information was keyed
into a database as resumes were received. The database was used by
approximately 25 internal recruiters to source potential candidates
for position requisitions received from the home office.  It was not
unusual for different recruiters to get hits on the same resumes.

The problem was that resumes were maintained in an open shelf
environment, and any one could walk in and pull a resume. rarely did
they use an outcard.

I was asked to study the problem and come up with a recommendation.
Three solutions were offered

1. Impose rules on the file room, restrict access and introduce
controls. use no techology

2. microfilm the resumes and use a CAR system. - not viable as we
would have had to purchase multiple CAR stations and produce multiple
rolls of film

3. Introduce an imaging system (sorry no workflow available at this
time) that could be placed on our network. Scan resumes after data
entered into database (Limited OCR available) by placing the images on
the network, multiple recruiters could access the same resume at
virtually the same time.

Number 3 was the key ie allowing multiple individuals to access the
same document at the same time. Time was critical for the recruiters
in being able to review the resume and to determine if it matched the
job requisition

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va