From:
Kenneth Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 07:40:26 -1000
Greetings, all. Being a security person rather than a records person,
I've just been lurking on this list for quite a while. However, since
there's a security related topic here that I have quite a bit of
experience in, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

As far as wireless security goes, multiple layers of protection are
required. One alone seldom does it. Many of controls mentioned in this
thread should be considered - all together.

WPA is indeed better than WEP in most respects. However, in Preshared
Key mode (in other words, without an authentication infrastructure which
is how most individuals use it), it is also susceptible to brute force
attack. This might take a while, but it's quite possible to sniff
encrypted traffic for a long while and save it until the key is cracked.

MAC address filtering does limit access to authorized systems, but MAC
address spoofing is fairly easy. Some of the wireless access point
vendors used to provide software to change your MAC address. Such tools
are still readily available on the Internet. Because only wireless data
frames (and not management frames) are encrypted, it's not really that
difficult to identify authorized MAC addresses and then copy them when
the authorized user disconnects.

Turning off the router while not in use is also a good idea. This along
with such configuration changes as disabling broadcasts, reducing signal
strength, limiting acceptable connection speeds, and not allowing NULL
or ANY ESSIDs to connect  will go along way to making an access point
less visable/noticable.

Ken