From:
John Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:40:18 -0800
Lynn;

When you have documents with different retention schedules on the same
storage media the microfilm media is just like any write-once media.
If the media is destroyed then the more permanent (longer retention)
documents are lost.
With digital media only the needed data is transferred to another media and
the old media (along with the no longer required documents) is destroyed.

In our past Micrographic Record Management systems we would cut out the
shorter retention documents using scissors and a splicer.
If just a few images needed to go they were scraped (archivists cover your
eyes) off the film. With CAR systems, where the documents were in various
frames throughout the roll and on various rolls within the microfilm
collection, often the data base of these documents were destroyed.
But; this still left the images in place and much like digital images could
be found during a 'discovery period'.

If your film collection is organized in such a way that you can destroy
rolls of film as the retention period of their imaged documents come to an
end then do so.

Your problem would seem to be retrieval.
You need a process to retrieve the images which today would require a film
scanner of some type.
There still are old analogue reader/printers available but a law firm the
size of Morgan Lewis needs a tool to retrieve it's old microfilm data.
For low volume retrievals consider a small 'scan-on-demand' scanner printer
from EyeCom, eImage, S-T Imaging, etc.

I don't understand the:
'without first scanning them (this at the attorneys' request).'
The documents attorney's use are either 'born digital' or scanned and then
printed.

Anyway, congratulations on retrieving 35 year old vital information.

John