From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:57:13 -0500
I came across this from NARA with regards to the retention of e-mail.
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/electronic-records/emailreg.html

Maybe someone on the list could elaborate as to the status of this standard(s)?

NARA defines a record as "a unit of recorded information created, received, and maintained as evidence or information by an organization or person, in pursuance of legal obligations or in the transaction of business".

So does the medium in which the record resides determine the retention, as one would think, that the retention would apply to the content as opposed to the medium?  Of course, the longevity of the medium could determines how long something is retained as well. Just some thoughts.  Cheers

John Gervais
613-946-0245
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The opinions expressed in this post are personal and do not represent that of my employers.