From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:17:22 -0500
On 3/1/07, Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> List,
>
> Asked this question in a meeting "Why should I care about DoD 5015 if I
> don't work for the agency & should it ever be a requirement in an RFP ?".
>

> My response didn't seem to click and could use some further input.  I've
> looked at the archive and didn't really see it put this way.

well think of it this way. would you want to publish an RFP that lists
all the requirements that you want an ERMS to have  or would you
rather refer to a single document such as 5015?

This is like my brother who holds the PE designation (professional
engineer). He serves as an expert witness. Before he received the
designation he would spend hours on the witness stand undergoing voir
dire to establish him as an expert witness. With the PE designation he
just says he holds PE license #1235 and he is accepted as an expert
witness.

without 5015 you would have to come up a list of required capabilities
that you want in a product and I suspect that you would miss a few.
but pointing to 5015 eliminates that exercise

while 5015 is focused on the federal sector it has become the de facto
standard for ERMS in the US, and until something else comes along this
is going to be it.

the one thing that 5015 does not do is tell you how a product
accomplishes a particular task. Does it take 2 steps or 50 steps?

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va