From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:19:55 -0500
re Gus {snip}I guess in the same light I am amused at folks who believe that simply because they can scan a document and make it available on their desktop...a benefit is realized.

You have to put context to a record to make is useful, capture it into an approved RM repository/ERMS, apply approved file classification schema and apply retention criteria to it.  I liken it to putting someone's name: i.e. John Gervais... So what?

If you put, "John Gervais is an IM professional from Canada working in the Canadian Federal Government at blah blah location..etc." there is now context to the name.  You also apply metadata, use standard naming conventions, apply life cycle principles to it and all the other wonderful records management goodies.  You have to ensure that the information is authentic, available, accessible, useable, reliable, protected.... In short, I agree (personal opinion) that just capturing it on a desktop is certainly not enough.

John Gervais
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The opinions expressed in this post are personal and do not represent that of my employers.