From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:51:10 -0500
Jesse brings up "excellent" and valid points, which I do agree with.  I have to admit that the software that comes with the scanners/readers today is quite powerful and do provide access to critical corporate records/documents/information. The hardware is also simply amazing with tons of functionality!

Today's Optical Character Readers (OCR's) , Multi-Functional Peripherals (MFP's), Electronic Records Management Systems (ERMS), Electronic Document Management Systems (EDMS), production scanners/readers etc etc all provide access to information.   I think that you have to look at your business needs and identify what your requirements are, look at workflow, processes and the type of industry you are in.  Then you can choose whether you need content management solutions, records management solutions, document management solutions and so on.  They each provide their own powerful solutions which will meet your needs.

Sometimes a vendor may sell you one type of solution, when you really needed another.  Cheers.

John Gervais
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The opinions expressed in this post are personal and do not represent that of my employers.