From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:00:34 -0600
Sorry if I stepped on Brent's toes.  I have certainly conceded to the
fact that there are applications where electronic imaging alone provides
benefits and is cost supportive.  I realize my original statement was
simply wrong..and I was really trying to express the following.  I
believe that there are FAR MORE applications where it is workflow that
provides the best reason and cost support for electronic imaging of
documents.

What I'm prejudiced against is when a technology is touted as the end
all to end all of every single business information management problem.
That's the way imaging was first presented...and it remains that in many
people's minds today.  How many horror stories did we hear or live the
first few years as imaging emerged on the scene...where vendors were
encouraging folks to image "everything"...part of the continued (after
desktops) great promise of the paperless office.  Well, it didn't happen
and folks learned from their mistakes.

I am not the poster boy for workflow.  I don't think ANY technology
should be applied where there is no value to support it.  I don't think
anyone would disagree with that???  And all I'm saying is that in the
vast majority of cases it is workflow, and not simply imaging, that
provides that cost and value support...simply that.  Perhaps I can
research and provide some real numbers here...imaging alone apps vs.
imaging w/workflow...assuming all apps were value supported.  Any of you
software folks out there...providing imaging and the combo
imaging/workflow?  What are your numbers?

I do hope nobody has felt "ridiculed."  My intent here is always to have
a meaningful discussion.  I'd bet that these several exchanges regarding
imaging and workflow have created a lot of thought regarding these
processes and I think that's a good thing...and one of the most
important reasons for this listserv.

And Brent...certainly some of the replies regarding my comments have
been much more "pointed" than anything I've posted.  And that's ok.
Doesn't bother me.  I don't think they mean any disrespect...but just
trying to get across their opinion.

Gus