From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:18:32 -0600
>>Have you seen more apps with workflow since the advent of
workflow?...or more imaging alone apps? <<

In my most recent world, state government, imaging apps are by far the
most prevalent, in part because there is a significant need to access
historical information.  However, we looked at imaging as an on-ramp to
continually increasing functionality.  Document management and imaging
were the base.  As the particular application progressed forms
processing and eforms were added to reduce capture requirements and
automate data entry tasks.  COLD was brought on board to automate
capture of machine generated data.  Workflow was the last component of
the ECM solution to go into place.  It was the technology that could
leverage the capabilities of all of the other technologies.  However,
adding workflow was not ever intended as completion of the effort.

We worked hard not to require any modification of existing business
applications.  However, when they were to be replaced, we wanted an
infrastructure in place that would allow the new application to
seamlessly use the technologies in such a way as the user didn't even
know they existed.  That is the point where I would consider the work
"done" (knowing that there will always be additional improvements to be
made).

In my current world, financial services, it looks very much like we will
need to follow the same pattern.  Starting with workflow can be done and
is often the goal, but the most rapid benefits can come from access to
existing information coupled with providing vital records protection to
paper collections.  Rapid ROI is often obtained, sometimes enough to pay
for entire systems.

Then again, my experiences may not be the same as others.

Bill R