From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:33:26 -0400
Below is a message from NARA on the topic.  I have also uploaded the
referenced attachments to the recmgmt_ot Yahoo Group's Files section.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM
__________________

March 12, 2007

NWM 08.2007

MEMORANDUM TO FEDERAL AGENCY CONTACTS:  Proposed changes to GRS 20 to
implement media neutrality.

Two years ago, NARA proposed changes to General Records Schedule 20
expanding its coverage of input/source documents used to create electronic
records, electronic records that replace previously scheduled hard copy
records, and the documentation associated with electronic records.

After further analysis, we have modified our proposals considerably.
Before we share the revised schedule with external stakeholders, we are
disseminating it to agencies for review (see Attachment 1).  To assist in
this review, we have outlined the major changes we are proposing and how
they compare with the provisions of GRS 20 currently in force (see
Attachment 2).

We would appreciate your sending us any comments you may have no later than
April 2, 2007.  (Please send comments and any questions via email to
[log in to unmask])  The GRS changes, with any comments incorporated,
will then have to be published again in the Federal Register as a proposed
schedule.  After the Archivist of the United States approves the changes to
the GRS, we will also issue new regulations that incorporate these changes
and make all schedule items approved subsequent to the new regulations media
neutral, unless the
item explicitly limits the media to which it applies.

PAUL M. WESTER, JR.
Director
Modern Records Programs