From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:15:36 -0700
I recommend one of the two following loads; both 12 gauge:

Magnum load slug
or
12 Gauge flame thrower ammo (titanium sponge/flakes)  (make sure there
is no flammable material in the area)

If a bear or mountain lion happens upon you while you are completing
the RIM lifecycle and destroying a mainframe, you are already well
prepared and armed for that challenge.  I do recommend a powerful backup
hand weapon while out in the desert doing dadgummed important RIM
professional tasks; a .44 cal magnum; or at a minimum a .357 cal
magnum.

A little  OT   OT   here.   Weekend before last I was in the desert at
a 3-sided canyon a little south of Pyramid Lake (near the Paiute
reservation) honing my skills with several weapons. I took my Jeep to
get way off the beaten path, as I always do when shooting.  Between
rounds I hear a lawn mower coming up the trail.  I take a pause and
holster my weapon and pop a top for a break.  Sure enough about a minute
later here comes a brand new 4-wheel ATV.  Guy driving it was from San
Diego and had just moved up here.  I speculated that he took a
retirement, sold his house, and moved up to N. Nevada.  He had a new
ATV, and a new portable GPS attached to his handlebar.  I asked him,
since he was from San Diego, if he knew Bruce White CRM, PMP.  He said
yes, he did, and that they ran him off back to Tejas, where men are men
and livestock are nervous.

Just kidding about the last two sentences above; Bruce took a career
move and went back to Texas.  Tejas men and livestock...; you'd have to
ask a Texan...; perhaps Big Taco Bill Perry CRM would know!  :>)

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

--- "Andrachek, Mark" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> All,
>
> Any help with the physical disposition of the DASD unit once the
data
> has been erased, reformatted, and overwritten.  We want to "kill"
it,
> not reuse or sell.

Paging Mr. Whitaker... something needs killing. Bring deer slugs.

Seriously, what you may really want is a facility with a hammermill.
The can run those disk drives into that things and you'll get out a
small pile of scrap metal. You can check with local NAID members
http://www.naidonline.org/ to see if they can handle your disks.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little