From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:45:28 -0700
I find the whole issue very unsettling. As Peter mentioned, the fact
that it's digital does not make it easy to apply retention in the same
we can for physically tangible records. Then I think, do these
conversations exist elsewhere? In most cases, they probably do and are
therefore documented in other ways. Which then leads me to the following
course of reasoning: Records only capture a portion, often a very small
and limited portion of a whole transaction. For example, I just closed
on a property and the closing documents only show a fraction of the
whole months long transaction from submitting the application to getting
the keys 4 months later. Archives only receive a small portion (usually
5-7%) of an entity's recorded transactions. What ends up recorded, and
then what ends up getting to a repository is very little. If listservs
don't make it to the archive, maybe it's not so bad and not so out of
the ordinary. In court one must pledge to tell the whole truth; records
can never tell the whole truth since they can never document everything
about a transaction, something is always left out.

Back to the listserv. If our efforts are pursued and recorded on many
fronts, then something will be saved somewhere, just maybe not from the
listserv. In our age of information-overload, this is quite likely. This
is my justification, and I question it all the time.

That's my 2 cents.

Stephen Cohen, MLIS
Document Controls Manager
MARNELL CONSULTING
222 Via Marnell Way
Las Vegas, Nevada 89119
(702) 739-5765 Phone
(702) 739-2045 Fax
(203) 376-5535 Mobile

www.marnellcorrao.com

NOTICE: This message may contain information that is privileged and/or
confidential and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for
delivering it thereto, you may not disclose, use, disseminate,
distribute, copy, or take any action in reliance upon this message or
any attachments thereto in any way. If you receive this message in
error, please return it by forwarding the message and any attachments to
the sender.