From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:53:52 -0400
On 3/15/07, Singley, David <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have been asked to research ways to reduce the volume of emails our
> employees send/receive in the course of business.  I have found examples
> of companies that have issued writing guidelines (be concise, don't copy
> everyone, etc.) but am wondering if there is more that a company can do
> to enforce appropriate email usage.

Educating the users is a key aspect, another thing you can do is
monitor the email activity levels. Identify those the heaviest users
of email system. Analyse the messages they are sending. Are the
appropriate for the type of work they do? How frequently are they
sending messages. Are the messages sent within your system or are they
sent outside of your system. Where are those messages going to?

your organization should have a clearly written email use policy
statement. Ideally it should be no more than 1 page. It should define
the appropriate uses and state that the system is owned by the
organization and that use is subject to monitoring.

here is a simple Google search for "email policy"

http://shrinkster.com/mws

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va